The Covid-19 Pandemic has been the event that has most impacted the world for more than a year. We have had to implement protocols that affect our daily routine that have been and will be modified in the future, including those necessary to transit through an airport or take a flight. The tourism and airline industry has been the most affected by the COVID -19 crisis, and it will also be the ones that must adapt first so that the behaviors of professionals and travelers are appropriate and safe for everyone
The Punta Cana International Airport, one of the most important in the Dominican Republic because it is located in the most important tourist area of the country, connects us with the rest of the world, with a constant flow of passengers who arrive to enjoy the different hotels in the area,
A number of hygiene and health protocols have been implemented to provide a safe environment and that transport activities related to health, the movement of cargo, the repatriation of foreign visitors, the return to our facilities, as well as the reactivation of commercial operations for the arrival and departure of tourists are restored and continue without interruption from now on.
Punta Cana International Airport recommends its users to take preventive and recurring measures in their daily activities, such as:
- Wash hands frequently with soap (preferably antibacterial) or sanitizer based alcohol and water.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Avoid contact with other people.
- When coughing or sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or use a tissue. Discard the tissue immediately and wash your hands.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever and cough.
- If you have symptoms of fever, cough and difficulty breathing, call for medical assistance.
- Avoid eating animal products raw or undercooked.
- Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care to avoid cross contamination with raw foods, in accordance with good food safety practices.
- When visiting markets in areas that are exposed to poor sanitation, avoid direct, unprotected contact with live animals and any surface contact with animals.
- Raise your defenses:
- Drink a lot of water. Between 10 and 12 consuming glasses of water a day Stimulates the immune system.
- Consume vitamin C: oranges, tangerines, pineapples, lemons and strawberries.
- Be active and exercise.
Hotel Measures and Protocols
These are some of the anti-COVID-19 measures applied by hotels in the Dominican Republic:
Mandatory use of a mask, health control of visitors upon arrival at their accommodation, standards of capacity and social distancing in common areas, swimming pools and private beaches, entertainment activities only if they can comply with interpersonal distance, isolated rooms in all hotels to attend to potential sick tourists, specific training for employees and a medical station in all hotels, whatever their size, with at least one qualified health-care professional.
With the reopening of the Dominican Republic to international tourism, since July 1, the Ministries of Tourism (MITUR) and Public Health have jointly begun the inspection of hotel establishments and companies in the sector to ensure compliance with the General Protocol of Activities Tourist in the prevention of COVID-19.
- Arrival at the accommodations
All guests must undergo a health check upon arrival at their accommodations, which goes through a temperature check and a “health and travel” statement in which they agree to report any symptoms or if they have had direct contact with people diagnosed with COVID-19. The communication plan between staff and tourists is key when applying protocols and preventing infections effectively, so it must be ensured that customers are informed at all times in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Common areas, isolation and medical station
In common areas, all accommodations must have hydro-alcoholic gel, as well as intensify cleaning and disinfection of areas, guarantee adequate ventilation of spaces and enforce all regulations for capacity and social distancing in common areas, swimming pools and private beaches. Entertainment activities will only take place if interpersonal distance can be met.
- Bars and restaurants
Although the development of leisure activities such as recreational and aquatic parks, guided tours or horseback riding is allowed, as well as maritime transport and water sports, these must be carried out in compliance with all hygienic-sanitary measures. The providers of such activities must guarantee the disinfection of their services, take the temperature of the clients and ensure compliance with social distance and the use of the mask.
Sources: godominicanrepublic.com, nomadatrek.com, puntacanainternationalairport.com, hosteltur.com